Historic Fernwood Cemetery
Fernwood Cemetery and Funeral Home’s historic cemetery is surrounded by mature woodlands of oak and bay. Sites offer a beautiful view of Mount Tamalpais.
If you prefer a traditional, conventional approach to burial, the historic section of Fernwood cemetery is a fitting resting place. A limited number of gravesites are available, surrounded by mature trees. Many offer a beautiful view of Mount Tamalpais or Richardson Bay. Embalming, any type of casket, cut-and-polished headstones, and bronze markers are allowed only in this part of the cemetery. Outer burial containers (vaults) may be required for health, safety and ecological reasons. We also offer cremation burial spaces in this area of our grounds.
This extraordinary section of Fernwood Cemetery has been in existence on this site since the late 1800’s and has witnessed many years of Bay Area history. Set in a beautiful wooded area of native heritage oak and bay laurel trees, its early gravesites are reminders of Marin County’s original Portuguese pioneers, many who fished in the waters of San Francisco Bay or worked on our local dairy farms and ranches. Some were members of the fraternal benefits society, Woodmen of the World. As their gravestones say, ”dum tacet clamet” — or “though silent he speaks.”